Friday, October 11, 2013

The End: A Final Wrap-Up

Now that I've finished traveling, I'm at home, contacting and interviewing with different civil firms throughout eastern Virginia. I want to say thanks for reading to the end, and I hope it was an adventure to hear about my own adventure. It was fun for me to step outside my comfort zone and chronicle the trip like this.

Before...
...and after!

I compiled some facts about the trip that I found interesting:

Total days: 99
Total miles: 17,700
States visited: 48
National Forests we camped in: 11
National Parks we camped in or visited: 16
State parks we camped in: 4
Total number of nights we camped: 51
Gas stations visited: 56
Number of friends or family we stayed with: 17

There are so many odd or strange things to count; I could go on and on.

Surprisingly, I ended the trip under budget - including fixing the car troubles we ran into. We budgeted the trip to cost about $4,600 for each of us, and it ended up costing me just under $4,000. The largest cost was fuel; we each spent $1,400 on gas and used about 800 gallons of gas total to travel the country. The federal land pass saved us hundreds of dollars and was a great investment for a trip like this. We kept things cost-efficient because of the style of the trip: we camped a lot and bought food from the grocery store, but we still had some great foodie, touristy, and fun experiences when we stayed with others. Considering what I got to see and do, I believe the trip was an incredible bargain.

The path of the trip - my map finally complete!

This is the end of my posts about the trip these past 3 months. Thanks, and I hope it was fun - it sure was for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment